An Extra Life, also called "1-Up" or "Stocks", allows the Player Character to respawn if they die in any level. They are little creatures that resemble the Playable Characters (Lilac, Carol, Milla & Torque). Extra Lives are essential to Freedom Planet, collecting as many as you can before facing Lord Brevon, the Main Antagonist and Final Boss of the Game. The Player Character will lose a life if they're hit by an enemy attack while out of Health Petals, causing them to respawn at the last Checkpoint. They'll also lose a life the Player choses to restart the Stage from the Pause Menu (Note: the Player can't restart if the Character is out of lives). a Player Character dies when out of Extra Lives, then it's Game Over!
The number of Lives the Player Character start out with depends on the Stage Difficulty:
- Casual Mode: 7 Lives
- Easy Mode: 5 Lives
- Normal Mode: 5 Lives
- Hard Mode: 3 Lives
If choosing to Continue after getting Game Over on any difficulty, the Player Character will get 3 Lives.
The Player can get Extra Lives in the following ways:
- Collecting 200 Crystal Shards (300 on Hard Mode)
- In the Bonus Level (The Player can get 1 - 3 Lives per roll, Adventure/Classic Modes only)
- Breaking open a cage (which can also be picked up and thrown by Milla)
Continue Screen (FP) Edit
When Game Over occurs, the Continue Screen comes up. A 9-second countdown begins as the Player Character struggles to get back up, with the numbers appearing in the form of Crystal Shards. If the Player chooses to continue, the Character will get up and run to the right off-screen, then comes back and goes to the left off-screen. If the Player doesn't choose to continue and let's the timer run out, then the Character will die and the Player will be sent back to the Main Menu.
Each of the Player Characters will do something different when choosing to continue:
- Lilac: Jumps and does a Dragon Boost
- Carol: Drives by on her Motorcycle (obtained off-screen)
- Milla: Jumps and does a Puppy Float
The faces of the Player Characters in the Life Counter are now animated, able to blink their eyes, unlike in the first game. The physical form of the Stocks have not yet been confirmed.
The Player can now get bonus Crystal Shards with the number of lives they have when completing a Stage. The more Lives the Player Character has, the more Crystal Shards they"ll earn. Each Stock (starting with 2) gives 50 Crystal Shards.
Continue Screen (FP2)Edit
In the Sample Version of Freedom Planet 2, when the Player Character dies while out of Stocks, the word "Defeated..." will appear on the screen instead of Game Over. Then the Player is sent to the Continue Screen, where they're given the followings choices:
- Punching Bag: Earn up to 20 additional Crystals Shards by pressing the button to hit the Punching Bag.
- Return to Checkpoint: Spend 300 Crystal Shards to return to the last Checkpoint the Player Character passed in a Stage (Beat a Stage to earn Crystals Shards to put into storage).
- Restart Stage: Restart from the starting point of the Stage.
- Exit: Quit the Stage and go back to the Main Menu.
- In the Sample Version of Freedom Planet 2, there is a glitch where if the Player Character is killed and falls on a jump spring, then the Character will instantly revive without spending an Extra Stock. This will also occur when the Player is "Defeated" (gets Game Over), in which the word "Defeated" will stay on the screen, even if the Player completes the Stage.