Freedom Planet 2 is an upcoming combat-based 2D platform video game created by GalaxyTrail. The Sequel takes place two years after the events of the previous game, Freedom Planet.
A demo of the game called "Sample Version" has been released on January 31st 2017 and can be downloaded for free.
GalaxyTrail currently aims for a 2018 release.
Join the Heroes of Avalice as they face their greatest challenge yet.
An ancient terror has emerged from the depths of the ocean. Merga, a Water Dragon from Avalice's oldest and deadliest war, has been freed from her crystal prison as a consequence of the Kingdom Stone's destruction. Through her act of vengeance, she holds a dark and terrible truth about Avalice's leaders that will change the history of the three kingdoms forever. War is imminent once again, but this time, the heroes are split between sides. As friendships are tested, will the girls stand united when Bakunawa rises?
The Sequel's gameplay remains mostly like its predecessor, but with some major changes:
Character Types Edit
The four playable characters are labeled as a certain Type and each have different attributes:
- Sash Lilac: The Speed-Type; The fastest character, good for getting the fastest time in a stage.
- Carol Tea: The Brawler-Type; Normal speed, but attacks much quicker, good for hand-to-hand combat.
- Milla Basset: The Exploror-Type; Normal speed, Ideal for finding hidden items in the stages.
- Neera Li: The Power-Type; The slowest, but strongest character with the most moves.
You can tap a dedicated Guard button to avoid a bit of damage from incoming enemy attacks. The shield will not fully reflect damage from larger or powerful attacks; however, it will soften the damage if properly timed. Milla is able to spawn her Phantom Blocks by using this ability.
When you've been defeated, you can use one of your Stocks to Revive yourself. This grants you a couple of seconds of Invincibility and some of the Petals back (might depend on which powerup you have equipped). Warning: You cannot revive yourself if your body has been disintegrated.
Guardian Orbs Edit
Instead of releasing a shield that surrounds and protects the character, the Keystone Monitors release small elemental Orbs called Guardian Orbs, which follows the character around. So far, these orbs have the same abilities as the shields from the first game, except the fire orb is now Water-Resistant, unlike before, and they can even carry Milla's Phantom Blocks. The elements of these orbs will also be displayed on the player's Health Meter, taking up two Health Petals.
Certain powerups can change the elements of all Keystone Monitors in a stage. For example, a Water Charm will change all of the Monitors into water orbs.
Orbs of the same element are able to stack, and can absorb up to 6-7 hits if the player finds enough of them. If the player has one elemental orb and gets another orb of different element, it will still stack, but the element of the orb will change. Also, the player isn't granted any invincibility when their orb is damaged.
The Guardian Orbs have animal-like attributes, which are:
- Water Orb: Fish
- Wood Orb: Butterfly
- Fire Orb: Phoenix
- Earth Orb: Fly
- Metal Orb: Eagle
Speed Gates Edit
Speed Gates are rainbow rings that appear similar to the Time Gates seen in Pangu Lagoon from the first game. When the player passes through one of these gates, a Bonus timer will appear, and the player will be able to earn Crystal Shards by leaving behind a trail of Tao Marks. Once the timer runs out, the Tao Marks will transform into Crystal Shards. The longer the Tao Trail is, the more Crystal Shards the player will earn.
Star Cards Edit
Star Cards are now dropped by the endboss and must be collected to complete the stage, but they also remain as collectables in the inventory. Trading them in the Battlesphere will unlock arena challenges. Star Cards can also be found in stages without bosses to unlock different kind of challenges.
Hub Worlds Edit
Hub Worlds, which didn't make it into the game's predecessor due to time constraints, will be a part of Adventure Mode. The four cities (Shang Tu, Shang Mu, Shuigang and Parusa) will have their own Hubs filled with NPCs (Non-Player Characters).
The Cutscenes in Adventure Mode will now mostly be done in a Visual Novel-like style with still images instead. Only certain scenes in the game will include moments with the character sprite moving.
Stages EditThe game will have a total of 21 Stages. Unlike its predecessor, the stages are now a single big area instead of being separated in two. Every stage will end in an boss encounter.
- Dragon Valley (1st stage) (Boss: Proto Pincer (Sample Version))
- Shenlin Park (2nd stage)
- Avian Museum (3rd stage)
- Sigwada (4th stage)
- Phoenix Highway (5th stage)
- Zao Land (6th stage)
- Battlesphere (7th stage)
- Tiger Falls (8th stage)
- ? (9th stage)
- Robot Graveyard (10th stage)
- ? (11th stage)
- Globe Opera (12th stage)
- ? (13th stage)
- ? (14th stage)
- Heaven's Bridge (15th stage)
- ? (16th stage)
- Lightning Tower (17th stage)
- ? (18th stage)
- Bakunawa (final 3 stage set)
Extra Stages Edit
- "JC" & Zodiac River (remained as ideas for stages but were removed early from the game).
Powerups can be crafted with Gold Gems, which can be found in the stages, or with regular Crystal Shards. Depending on usage, these will increase or decrease the difficulty of certain sections of the game.
There are four types of Powerups:
- Potions: These give the character a passive buff for the duration of the stage.
- Amulets: These alter the stage; Time Records are in seperate categories when used.
- Brave Stones: These give the character a negative effect and make the stage harder, but multiply the Crystal Shards collected on stage completion.
- Fusion Stones: Will be created if two items with contradicting effects are equipped. They have very negative effects, but a big Crystal Shard Bonus.
|Alchemical Burst||Increases your crystal bonus by 10%. It has a random side effect that can be good, bad, or nothing.||?||None|
|Extra Stock||You begin the stage with one extra stock.||?||None|
|Cheaper Stocks||Reduces the number of crystals you need for a stock by 50.||(for free in the Sample Version), ?||None|
|Regeneration||Your life meter slowly recovers as long as you have life petals.||?||None|
|Strong Revivals||You recover 4 life petals when reviving.||(for free in the Sample Version), ?||None|
|Auto Guarding||You automatically guard against attacks if possible.||(for free in the Sample Version),
|Max Life Up||Increases your maximum number of life petals by one.||(for free in the Sample Version), ?||None|
|Minus Stock||Reduces your number of stocks by one.||?||None|
|Pricy Stocks||You need an extra 50 crystals for each stock.||?||None|
|Max Life Down||Reduces your maximum number of life petals by one.||?||None|
|Crystals To Petals||Transforms all crystal flowers in the stage into life flowers.||?||None|
|Motorcycle Start||Carol begins the stage with her motorcycle.||?||None|
|Wood Charm||Transforms all shield crystals in the stage into Wood.||?||None|
|Earth Charm||Transforms all shield crystals in the stage into Earth.||(for free in the Sample Version), ?||None|
|Water Charm||Transforms all shield crystals in the stage into Water.||(for free in the Sample Version), ?||None|
|Fire Charm||Transforms all shield crystals in the stage into Fire.||?||None|
|Metal Charm||Transforms all shield crystals in the stage into Metal.||?||None|
|Boss Life Drain||Reviving during a boss battle will cause damage to the boss.||?||None|
|Cordelia's Blessing||If you are defeated without any stocks left, you have a 20% chance of being revived anyway.||?||None|
|No Stocks||You begin the stage with no stocks.||(for free in the Sample Version), ?||25%|
|Expensive Stocks||Increases the number of crystals you need for a stock by 100.||?||20%|
|Double Damage||You take double damage from attacks.||(for free in the Sample Version), ?||25%|
|No Revivals||You cannot revive after being knocked down.||?||25%|
|No Guarding||Guarding does not protect you from harm.||?||20%|
|No Petals||All life petals are transformed into crystals, making it much harder to heal damage.||(for free in the Sample Version), ?||50%|
|Time Limit||A countdown timer appears. If it runs out, you receive no crystal bonus.||(for free in the Sample Version), ?||25%|
|Gem Booster||Increases your crystal bonus by 10%.||(for free in the Sample Version), ?||10%|
|One Hit KO||You always have an empty life meter.||Full Revivals + No Revivals||100%|
|Enemy Armor||All enemies have twice as much vitality.||?||50%|
|Items To Bombs||All item containers are transformed into bombs.||?||50%|
- Sash Lilac (Main Protagonist, playable)
- Carol Tea (Main Protagonist, playable)
- Milla Basset (Main Protagonist, playable)
- Neera Li (Main Protagonist, playable)
- General Gong
- Royal Magister
- King Dail
- Mayor Zao
- Bird Officer
New Characters Edit
- Merga (Main Antagonist)
- Sergeant Askal
- Captain Kalaw
- Corazon "Cory" Tea
- Battlesphere Announcer
- Maria Notte
- Soldiers (Parusa)
Voice Actors Edit
- Dawn M. Bennett as Sash Lilac
- Amanda Lott as Carol Tea
- Aimee Smith as Milla Basset
- Ashlyn Selich as Neera Li
- Jason Lord as General Gong / Serpentine
- Christopher Sabat as Sergeant Askal
- Edwyn Tiong as the Royal Magister
- Sean Chiplock as King Dail / Spade
- Alejandro Saab as Mayor Zao
- Josh Grelle as Captain Kalaw
- Lindsay Jones as Corazon "Cory" Tea
- Morgan Berry as Merga
- Sarah Ann Williams as Aaa
- Victoria Vitti as Cordelia / Pangu
- Stephen DiDuro as the Bird Officer
- Christopher Guerrero as the Battlesphere Announcer
- Marissa Lenti as Maria Notte
- Commander Torque & Lord Brevon are so far the only characters from the original game who are not returning, as confirmed by Strife, the director of Freedom Planet 2 and head of GalaxyTrail.
- ↑ The Sample Version on the Freedom Planet 2 website.
- ↑ Freedom Planet 2 on Steam Greenlight
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 We have been Greenlit!
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 4.15 4.16 4.17 4.18 Information acquired by hacking the Freedom Planet 2 Sample Version
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 5.13 5.14 5.15 The Characters section on the Freedom Planet 2 website.
- ↑ About Maria Notte on the GalaxyTrail twitter.