This article contains information about a game that is still in development, mainly Gameplay, Stages and Power Ups.
Because of that, it's always open for changes in the future!
Spoilers for this article, including:
Stages, Power Ups and Credits
are made invisible.
Freedom Planet 2 is the upcoming second game of the Freedom Planet series, taking place two years after the events of the previous installment. It was submitted to Steam Greenlight on February 10th, 2017 and was greenlit on February 14th, 2017. The Game's release date was previously estimated to be in 2018, but was changed to spring / summer of 2019.
A demo of the game called the "Sample Version" was released on 31st January, 2017. The most recent version (1.0.6) can be played on Steam or downloaded on the official website.
Join the Heroes of Avalice as they face their greatest challenge yet.
An ancient terror has emerged from the depths of the ocean. Merga, a Water Dragon from Avalice's oldest and deadliest war, has been freed from her crystal prison as a consequence of the Kingdom Stone's destruction. Through her act of vengeance, she holds a dark and terrible truth about Avalice's leaders that will change the history of the three kingdoms forever. War is imminent once again, but this time, the heroes are split between sides. As friendships are tested, will the girls stand united when Bakunawa rises?
The gameplay of Freedom Planet 2 remains broadly true to that of its predecessor, with the following major changes and new features:
The player can now tap a dedicated guard button to avoid a certain amount of damage from incoming enemy attacks. The shield will not fully reflect damage from larger or powerful attacks; however, it will reduce the damage if properly timed. Milla can now spawn her Phantom Cubes by guarding.
When the character has been defeated, the player can use one of their Stocks to revive them. This grants a few of seconds of invincibility and some Health Petals back, if a certain Power-Up is equipped. However, reviving doesn't work if the character's body has been disintegrated.
Guardian Orbs Edit
Instead of releasing a shield that surrounds and protects the player, the Shield Crystals will release guardian orbs which will follow the player around. There are five types of orbs, each corresponding to one of the five Elements. They all have similar buffs to the shields from the first game, as well as some new abilities. For instance, the Fire Orb is now water-resistant, and can now spawn a health petal for every 20 Crystal Shards. Also, if playing as Milla, the orbs will carry her Phantom Cubes until she uses them.
Certain power-ups can change the element of all shield crystals in a stage (for example, the Water Charm will change the element of all orbs into water).
The health of the orbs is displayed on the character's health meter, stacked over two petals per orb collected; guardian orbs may absorb as many as six or seven hits if enough are collected. If the player, having obtained an orb of one element then collects another of a different element, the damage absorption will still stack but the element of the orb will change. Even though the player is protected from damage, they are not granted any invincibility when their orb is damaged.
Guardian Orbs have the following animal-like features:
- Water Orb: Fish Fins and Tail
- Wood Orb: Butterfly Wings
- Fire Orb: Phoenix Wings and Tail
- Earth Orb: Beetle Wings
- Metal Orb: Eagle Wings
Speed Gates Edit
Speed Gates are rainbow rings with a similar appearance to the Time Gates from Pangu Lagoon. When the player passes through one of these rings, a bonus timer will begin, and the player will be able to earn Bonus Crystal Shards by leaving behind a trail of tao marks. Once the timer runs out, all the Tao Marks on trail will transform into Crystal Shards. The longer the Tao trail is, the more Shards the player will earn.
Star Cards remain as collectibles and can be viewed in the inventory. However, they are now dropped by bosses and must be collected to complete each corresponding stage; they can also be found in stages without bosses. They can be traded in the Battlesphere, where the player can unlock Arena Challenges.
Hub Worlds Edit
Hub Worlds, which didn't make it into the game's predecessor due to time constraints, will be a part of the game's Adventure Mode, and will be filled with NPCs (Non-Playable Characters), that the player can interact with. Freedom Planet 2 will also have a World Map, allowing the player to move between the Hub Worlds.
The Cutscenes in Adventure Mode will now mostly play out in a visual novel-like style using still images. Only certain scenes in the game will include moments with the character sprite moving.
Pause Menu Edit
The pause menu has been expanded with the following new features:
- Guide: This provides the player with an in-game instruction manual on how to play the game, giving them details on basic controls, revivals, special attacks for each character and collectible items.
- Photograph Mode: This allows the player to take photos of the character while the game is paused. They can pose the character on the ground or in midair, making them look adventurous or even comical. The Photos taken will then be placed in the Photo Album.
- Photo Album: This lets the player look at all the photos they took in Photograph Mode. It is able to hold up to 50 photos.
Stages EditFreedom Planet 2 will have a total of around 20 stages. Unlike those of its predecessor, each stage is now a single big area instead of being separated in two. Though every stage will end in a boss encounter, some will also have a midboss encounter.
Main Stages Edit
Hub Areas Edit
Power-Ups can be crafted with cores or with regular Crystal Shards. Depending on thier usage, these will increase or decrease the difficulty of certain sections of the game.
There are a total of 30 power ups, divided into four categories:
- Potions: Gives the player a passive buff for the duration of the stage.
- Amulets: Alters the stage; putting time records in separate categories whenever used.
- Brave Stones: Inflicts negative effects on the player, making the stage harder, but will multiply the crystal shards collected upon stage completion.
- Fusion Stones: These can be created if two power ups with contradicting effects are equipped. They have bigger negative effects, but a bigger crystal shard bonus.
- Sash Lilac: A Half-Breed Water Dragon and one of the playable characters (voiced by Dawn M. Bennett)
- Carol Tea: A tomboy Wildcat, Lilac's best friend and one of the playable characters (voiced by Amanda Lott)
- Milla Basset: An orphan Hush Basset from the woods and one of the playable characters (voiced by Aimee Smith)
- Neera Li: The Magister's advisor, Chief of the STPD and one of the playable characters (voiced by Ashlyn Selich)
- General Gong: The General of Shang Tu's army (voiced by Jason Lord)
- Royal Magister: The hereditary ruler of Shang Tu (voiced by Edwyn Tiong)
- King Dail: The King of Shuigang and brother of Spade (voiced by Sean Chiplock)
- Mayor Zao: The Mayor of Shang Mu (voiced by Alejandro Saab)
- Spade: A high-ranking member of the Red Scarves and brother of King Dail (voiced by Sean Chiplock)
- Serpentine: A Snake with robotic arms and Lord Brevon's former General (voiced by Jason Lord)
- Pangu: A Robotic AI from ancient times (voiced by Victoria Vitti)
- Merga: A bioengineered Water Dragon and the main antagonist of the game (voiced by Morgan Berry)
- Sergeant Askal: A Half-Breed Earth Dragon and a recently promoted Sergeant in Shang Tu's army (voiced by Christopher Sabat)
- Captain Kalaw: The Red Wing of Justice and champion of the Battlesphere (voiced by Josh Grelle)
- Corazon Tea: The Ace of Flying Aces and older sister of Carol Tea (voiced by Lindsay Jones)
- Aaa: A Tarsier who is obsessed with building and piloting crazy machines (voiced by Sarah Ann Williams)
- Cordelia: The former Princess of Shang Tu over a century ago (voiced by Victoria Vitti)
- Battlesphere Announcer: The host of the Battlesphere (voiced by Christopher Guerrero)
- Maria Notte: A news anchor from Tri Kingdom News (voiced by Marissa Lenti)
- ↑ Freedom Planet 2 on Steam Greenlight
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 We have been Greenlit!
- ↑ "Just making this clear: Our current estimate for FP2's release is Spring / Summer 2019. ..."
- ↑ The Sample Version on the Freedom Planet 2 website.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 Freedom Planet 2 - About
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Freedom Planet 2 In-Depth Interview w/ Creator & Voice Cast!
- ↑ 8.00 8.01 8.02 8.03 8.04 8.05 8.06 8.07 8.08 8.09 8.10 8.11 8.12 8.13 8.14 8.15 8.16 8.17 8.18 The Characters section on the Freedom Planet 2 website.
- ↑ About Maria Notte on the GalaxyTrail twitter.