Keystone Monitors are special Crystals that appear in Freedom Planet. They give the Player Character Elemental Shields to protect them from damage. However, all Shields will break after taking certain number of hits, which is depended on the difficulty of the Stage:
- Casual Mode: 3 Hits
- Easy Mode: 3 Hits
- Normal Mode: 2 Hits
- Hard Mode: 1Hit
Shield Types Edit
There are 6 different types of Keystone Monitors that can be found and used throughout the game, each with there own Element and abilities:
- Water Shield (Blue Monitor): A Bubble-Shaped Shield
- Gives the Player Character an infinite Air Supply while underwater.
- Protects against Bubble-Based Attacks.
- Wood Shield (Green Monitor): A Blossom-Covered Shield
- Fire Shield (Red Monitor): A Fireball-Shaped Shield
- Damages Enemies on contact.
- Protects against Fire-Based Attacks
- Protects against Fire-Based Hazards.
- Shield will break if the Player Character touches water.
- Earth Shield (Yellow Monitor): A Crystal-Shaped Shield
- Attracts nearby Crystal Shards.
- Protects against Crystal-Based Attacks.
- Metal Shield (Grey Monitor): An Ironball-Shaped Shield
- Protects against Spiked Floors
- Protects against Spike Attacks.
- Protects against Electric-Based Attacks
- Protects against Electric-Based Hazards.
- Invincibility Shield (Rainbow Monitor): A Starlight-Covered Shield
- Provides the Player Character Invincibility for 30 seconds.
- Keeps an equipped Shield active during Invincibility.
- Warning: Does not protect against Drowning or Crushing.
- The Keystone Monitors are reminiscent to the item boxes in the Sonic the Hedgehog series with similar abilities mentioned, such as Invincibility.
- When entering to a cutscene with an active shield, the shield surrounds the other playable character instead of main character in the story. When the cutscene ends, the shield returns to main character. This glitch works in Relic Maze. Alternatively, holding a Phantom Block at the end of a stage may cause a phantom block to appear above the shield during a cutscene. This glitch also works in Trap Hideout.