Keystone Monitors are special Crystals that appear in Freedom Planet. They give the characters Elemental Shields, each with different abilities. Except for Invincibility, all Shields will take different amount of hits before it breaks.
The number of hits depends on the difficulty of the Stage:
- Casual Mode: 3 hits
- Easy Mode: 3 hits
- Normal Mode: 2 hits
- Hard Mode: 1 hit
Shield Types Edit
- Wood Shield (Green Monitor): A Blossom-covered Shield
- Earth Shield (Yellow Monitor): A Diamond-shaped Shield
- Able to attract Crystal Shards.
- Protects against Crystal-based attacks.
- Water Shield (Blue Monitor): A Bubble-shaped Shield
- Gives the player an Infinite Air Supply while underwater.
- Protects against Bubble-based attacks.
- Fire Shield (Red Monitor): A Fireball-shaped Shield
- Able to damage enemies on contact.
- Protects against Fire-based attacks and Hazards.
- Will be extinguished if the player goes underwater while equipped.
- Metal Shield (Grey Monitor): An Ironball-shaped Shield
- Protects against Spiked Floors.
- Protects against Electric-based attacks and Hazards.
- Invincibility (Rainbow Monitor): A Starlight-covered Shield
- Provides Invincibility for 30 seconds.
- Keeps a Shield in use active during Invincibility.
- Warning: Does not protect against Drowning or Crushing.
- The Keystone Monitors are reminiscent to the item boxes in the Sonic the Hedgehog series with similar abilities mentioned, such as Invincibility.
- When entering to a cutscene with an active shield, the shield surrounds the other playable character instead of main character in the story. When the cutscene ends, the shield returns to main character. This glitch works in Relic Maze. Alternatively, holding a Phantom Block at the end of a stage may cause a phantom block to appear above the shield during a cutscene. This glitch also works in Trap Hideout.